Basic objectives and principles of employment and social policy (contained in the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union) are:
- more and better jobs through the European Employment Strategy and the European Social Fund,
- freedom of movement for workers and coordination of social security, which means that every EU citizen has the right to live and work in any EU country, and that people who move between countries are not disadvantaged in relation to social security and healthcare,
- better working conditions through common minimum standards in the workplace, and developing social dialogue at European level, and helping the labor force within the EU to be mobile,
- social inclusion and non-discrimination by supporting efforts against poverty and social exclusion, through the reform of social protection systems, evaluate the new demographic and social,
development, measures against discrimination, promotion of fundamental rights and improving the integration of persons with disabilities,
- gender equality between men and women through legislation and programs designed to improve equal opportunities for women and men and ensuring that the gender issue is taken into account in all areas of Community action.